A memory I had when I was gathering supplies to wire up my police buzzer and brake light disable switch in the El Camino:
When I was a kid my school had the D.A.R.E. program. My school had Sargent Joe Rindosh. He taught us how and were to buy drugs and how to tell the difference between good and cheap weed. He was also in a band called Guns n’ Badges and they had a concert.. A rock concert at my elementary school and many other schools. They played ZZ top, 38 special, Steppenwolf, Grand Funk Railroad and my favorite, Molly Hatchet. My mom being the groupie she was… Mr. Rindosh was at our trailer many mornings. I got to press the police buzzer and siren button a few times when he’d give me a ride to school in the mornings.
Woke up face down on my uncharged mobile phone.
Went to Lowes and bought some nice planks to put on top of a broken glass table I found.
Discovered one of my push button hood pins on the Dodge don’t work right, the fun way.
Bought bright green tie down straps for the Dodge.
Verbally assaulted another human because he was coughing and touching all the power tool models.
Reported him to the manager who took it very seriously.
Sanded said wood and finished the table.
Reloaded my burner laptop.
Organized my cable crates.
Had a Zoom call on burner laptop with yet another solar company.
Signed an agreement for a solar power system for the house.
Reloaded my burner laptop.
Ate pizza rolls.
Added gravel to where the gutter dumps water.
I want Olive Garden.
I made my new Plex VM on my ESXi environment that I recently stood up on an R820 with 1tb of ram to move away from my old R910 with 256 gigs. Anyways, I got all the automated stuff working right at the system level so all I needed to do was export the config from the source server. I connected directly to the source server and loaded XFCE4 and Filezilla so I could have the lazy GUI for SSH transfer of the files between the two since there were some plugins I wasn’t going to bring over. Before I started the transfer I had to destroy the test config on the destination server which I started to do through Filezilla which is just telling Filezilla to delete everything in /var/lib/plexmediaserver and that started out fine. It was slow. When you delete through Filezilla it deletes everything item by item. Delete this file, ok it’s deleted, now delete that file, ok that is deleted X thousands of files. I stopped that process and decided to just use the terminal to delete. I opened it and ran rm -r /var/lib/plexmediaserver.
It completed in about 30 seconds.
It was the wrong server. It was the source server. So all those months of tuning and tweaking gone. Shit.
A few perks though. My actual library data is fine. My Plex is a fresh install. I got to turn off the R910 immediately because there was no going back. Now my server room is noticeably cooler because that massive system is off.
My PLEX host has RAM, it’s currently a Dell R910 with 256 gigs of ram. I don’t want to murder my twin 1tb SSD’s doing all that fancy transcoding so I have mine use 50 gigs of ram as a temporary folder. You can use much less but I on average with 3 streams going am using less than 20 gigs of ram for the system so I can spare the memory.
I learned the hard way that my Dell PowerEdge R910 with 48 cores and 256 gigs of ram doesn’t support VT-x… It runs Ubuntu Server 18.04 currently and I decided to put Virtual Box on it because that has the easiest work around to get virtualization going on an unsupported processor. Virtualization is enabled in the BIOS, I’m not an idiot.
To get those VMs going anyways I had to lie to the software using the following command and I used one of the following processors since you don’t need to tell it to be a Xeon for a basic Domain Controller or backup appliance. You may need to disable USB on the VM also.
Welp, I’m nowhere near my server which runs Debian and I want to iDRAC in to do things but I forgot the password or never set it but I’m cheap and buy used so I guess I’ll just reset it remotely…. Here’s how.